Did you know that your water heating system at home accounts for 25% of your electricity usage? It is quite a costly investment but absolutely a necessity. Who would ever want to boil water in a pot every day just to enjoy a relaxing bath? With that being said, it is essential that you choose the right hot water heater for your home. Your choice should not negatively impact your budget but at the same time, still guarantee comfort for your family. If you are looking for a new hot water heater for your home, here are some tips to help you:
1. Learn about the types of hot water heater to find out which of these is appropriate to your needs and budget. You can choose from storage (tank-type) or instantaneous (tankless) types. There is also a wide array of heater types depending on their power source or fuel. These are heat pump, solar, gas or electric water heating systems. To learn more about these, watch out for our next blog post.
2. To ensure that you won’t pick the wrong type, you should consult a professional plumber, a trusted home builder or a certified and licensed HVAC technician. They are experts in the field so they should know about the pros and cons of each water heating system type and also the local codes and regulations which should be followed in terms of installation.
3. Should you choose a heat pump water heater, remember to read the Environment Protection Agency’s regulations for fixed domestic machine noise and guarantee your compliance.
4. Next, determine the right size of water heater for your needs. A large heater will only waste power on water that you won’t even use. If you’ll choose a small heater, you will always have a problem with supply. Therefore, determine your hot water demand. Remember, an appropriately sized water heater will guarantee efficiency thus result to reduced electricity / power cost. If you need an energy calculator, click here.
5. How do you find out how much hot water will you need? Count how many showers and baths you have at home. Also check how many faucets and appliances will be using hot water. Lastly, how many people are living in your house and how long do they shower or take a bath? According to research, taking an 8-minute long shower with a flow rate of 2.1 gallons per minute uses about 17.2 gallons of water. Given that statistic, you should get an idea of your water consumption. If you need assistance, you can always consult a licensed plumber or a water heater manufacturer / supplier.
6. Another factor that you should consider when buying a water heater is the cost. We’re not just referring to the initial cost or the amount you’ll pay for your water heater. You should also consider the operating cost of the appliance. There are water heaters with high purchase costs but low operational costs thus will save you more money in the long run.
1. Before making a final choice, make sure to check the energy star rating of the water heater.
2. Do your research and check customer reviews to learn more about the efficiency, durability and functionality of the model you’re eyeing.
3. Ask for quotations and compare while ensuring that you’ll consider all the important points we shared above.
4. Check for rebate programs to learn about what you are eligible for.
We hope that you learned valuable tips on how to choose a hot water heater for your home. If you have more tips to share, feel free to comment them below!
And if you are or you know someone who’s looking for a trusted home builder in Melbourne AUS, feel free to give us at Qinross a call or send an inquiry! Meanwhile, visit our portfolio to view photos of work!
Watch this video of a house we built for our client in Blackburn! Enjoy!